36‑yr‑old male: wife says she felt forced into sex on our wedding night

Started by Amitabh, Mar 28, 2026, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amitabh

I got an arranged marriage ten years ago. I was really attracted to my wife and wanted to have sex on the wedding night. I don't recall her saying no, but I do remember she was tired and wanted to sleep. It was just a quick thing because we were both exhausted. After seeing shows about non‑consensual sex in marriage (like "Chiraiya"), I asked her about that night and was surprised by what she said. She didn't call it non‑consensual, but I feel guilty thinking she felt forced.

Just to give context, I wasn't a great husband in the first few years – I was pretty controlling and emotionally abusive, mainly because of work stress and money problems, which is no excuse. When I got an ultimatum about divorce, I started working on myself and now our marriage is strong.

I'm wondering if my guilt is still valid even though it happened ten years ago.

Vandana

Your guilt isn't just valid – it's essential. The whole idea that sex must happen on the first night is messed up. A woman is exhausted, wearing a 15 kg lehenga, hasn't slept, hands full of mehendi, overwhelmed, and yet it's treated as normal that sex should happen? You even said she was tired and wanted to sleep. On top of that you admitted you were controlling and emotionally abusive in the early years, only changing when divorce became a real threat.

Feeling guilty ten years later doesn't change the past. Have you actually apologised to her properly, not just in your head? Guilt without accountability means nothing. Changing because divorce was on the table doesn't make you a good husband; it just means you changed when you had no option. The least you can do now is own it fully and ensure you never repeat that behaviour.

Akbar

Brother, this isn't the right place to unload. Talk to a therapist and sort it out; Reddit can be harsh.

Vishal

You should definitely feel guilt and regret, but it takes courage to recognise your mistakes. You can't undo what happened, but you should formally apologise to your wife for everything.


Shivendra

Sex on the first night isn't right when both of you are exhausted.


Ramesh

Brother, the only person who matters is your wife. You don't need to confess to anyone else – just talk to her, apologise for everything and keep up the changes you've realised. Proud of you.


Saritha

You forced yourself on your wife and abused her; she had every right to leave. This behaviour is unacceptable under any circumstances – nothing justifies it.

Laksh

A protest doesn't have to be loud to count. Likewise, anything less than enthusiastic consent is basically no consent. Acknowledging that you were overwhelmed or not a good husband at first doesn't erase the fact that you made her feel unsafe. Still, taking responsibility is a step forward. Strive to be the best husband you can and never repeat the incident.