25M: She returned, I chose peace

Started by Anita, Apr 12, 2026, 12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anita

I'm a 25‑year‑old guy. A few years back I was head over heels for a girl. She confessed too, and things felt serious. But after she moved into her PG, a lot of outside attention came, priorities shifted and we eventually had a big fight. I walked away after that.

During that time I got close to another girl. At first we had great chats and a strong connection, but slowly ego clashes started. She seemed to carry a lot of past trauma and unresolved issues into our relationship. At one point, instead of being honest with me, she emotionally attached herself to someone else just so she wouldn't feel alone. I realised I didn't want to carry anyone else's emotional baggage, so I left.

Then the first girl came back into my life. She returned crying, said we should talk, that things had gotten messy, and we slowly started talking again. I was clear in my mind that I didn't want to rush into a second chance. I was mostly observing and seeing where it went.

One day she confessed again that she really loved me.

A few weeks ago she told me something that hit me hard: she got drunk and made out with her co‑PG. She kept saying she feels guilty and it's been bothering her.

I didn't react much. I stayed calm and simply said, "Okay, it happens."

She seemed more worried about my calm reaction than the incident itself. She even said maybe it affected me more than I'm showing and told me to take my time.

The truth is, it did affect me inside. I felt disappointed and a bit insulted, but instead of reacting emotionally, it gave me clarity. I quietly shifted my priorities and started focusing on my own life, peace and future more seriously instead of investing emotionally in something uncertain again.

Now I'm taking it as a sign to focus on myself and move forward rather than revisiting something that already broke once.

Is this what emotional closure feels like?

Tanya

Moving on feels like the right thing. You deserve better.

Alok

More power to you, brother. That's a calm and mature realisation and decision.

Sandeep

Anger is the real issue – most of the time we react with anger. I can see you chose not to react and stayed calm, and that's something you should carry forward in life. I lose my temper for people I care about, but some folks just don't listen or don't want to. Take your time!

Hardik

Yes!! I broke up with a long‑term relationship. At first I didn't cry much, unlike before. I've been let down many times, so I stopped expecting anything from him. The way he reacted to our breakup gave me the closure I needed – he never really cared! For the longest time I feared how I'd survive without him; he was the love of my life. But now, after we've separated, I feel a lot more peace and have much clearer perspective than living in uncertainty. Life has so much more to offer!

Pankaj

I'm a 24‑year‑old male and it feels like we're in the same boat. I need that realisation that people don't really change and I need that clarity.

Chandni

You're totally right... It's like you finally got the closure you never knew you needed to close that chapter with her.

Bhavesh

Dude, that level of clarity is rare on Reddit. Congrats!

Madhu

I had a breakup five months ago (reason: no future together, family issues). It was rough until March, then I started feeling better. Every month we'd have one or two calls. I didn't know she was already seeing someone. Two weeks after our breakup she got asked out, said yes a few days later. It didn't work out for them, but she kept calling and chatting with me every other day. I listened to her tantrums and was there because she doesn't have many friends, and I still care about her. Two days ago she was crying badly, sharing how her life feels terrible. I was there, tried to calm her, and she was grateful. The next day we argued; I could tell her mood was ruined, I asked her and she said "nah I'm fine". The conversation ended with me saying I still care, and she replied, "then don't". I said okay and the chat stopped.

Today some incidents happened where I didn't show care, and she started crying. I didn't give much attention. She tried to get my attention but I ignored it. I find it hard to leave people; I usually don't start conversations, it's mostly her. It does affect me a bit, but I'm not looking to get into a relationship with her.

Ashwin

Well done, mate. Having clarity in times like these is crucial, and you've shown it. Nothing matters more than dignity. Kudos and all the best for the future.

Raj

The same thing happened to me. One of my exes went back to her abusive ex after we broke up. Later she came back to me and told me she'd shared nudes with that ex. I didn't respond much; she wants to restart the relationship, I said no. She blocked me for three years and only unblocked after I got married.

Now she keeps liking my Instagram posts and says my wife is lucky. I give one‑liner answers – I'm not being disrespectful, just ignoring. She keeps lecturing me about how much she loved me and now she loves my wife.