eChat

Categories => Personal Finance & Investing => Topic started by: Chiranjit on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM

Title: Built a privacy‑first expense tracker after fearing apps would upload my bank SMS
Post by: Chiranjit on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM
Long story short - I wanted to track expenses using bank SMS but couldn't find an app that didn't send that data to their servers. So I built one.

Why I got paranoid:

Your bank SMS contains your account number, balance, every merchant you've paid, every UPI ID. It's basically a complete financial fingerprint.

Most popular expense apps ask for SMS permission and quietly upload all of that to their servers for parsing. Read the privacy policies - it's in there.

I'm a developer so I just built something that doesn't do that.

How it's different:

SMS is parsed entirely on your phone - turn airplane mode on, it still works. That's your proof.

No account, no sign‑up, no server.

Data stays on your device in a local database.

Backup goes to your own Google Drive - I have zero access to it.

50+ Indian banks supported (HDFC, ICICI, SBI, Axis, Kotak and more)

Important -

It doesn't auto‑add expenses silently. When a bank SMS comes in, the app shows you a draft. You review it, edit anything - category, tag, note, payment method - then tap add. Nothing gets logged without you seeing it first. The SMS parsing just removes the boring part of typing it all out.

Why it helps:

Do this for a month and you'll have a clear picture of exactly where your money went - category breakdowns, budget alerts, monthly trends, spending heatmap. That visibility alone changes how you spend.

Why I'm posting here:

I use it daily but I'm one person with a couple of banks. Would love feedback from this crowd specifically:

Does SMS parsing work for your bank?

What's missing that would make you actually stick with it?

Core features are free.

There are ads - felt more honest than a subscription or selling your data.

Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.santhoshkumr96.fintracker

Happy to answer anything about how it works under the hood.
Title: Re: Built a privacy‑first expense tracker after fearing apps would upload my bank SMS
Post by: Vinay on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM
Make it open source maybe? It'd be better so others can have a look and also for the privacy claim
Title: Re: Built a privacy‑first expense tracker after fearing apps would upload my bank SMS
Post by: Hema on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM
Another one...
Title: Re: Built a privacy‑first expense tracker after fearing apps would upload my bank SMS
Post by: Shivendra on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM
Interesting. I'll give it a shot. Ads are a turn‑off though. Hope this is better than Axio, as I've been using that since the start when it was called Walnut
Title: Re: Built a privacy‑first expense tracker after fearing apps would upload my bank SMS
Post by: Arvind on May 20, 2026, 01:55 PM
Is it treating self‑account transfers as expenses? What about credit‑card bill payments?