so my mom and I had no idea that school was cancelled today. we only got the notice after she had already packed my tiffin. I was super happy because no school, obviously. Then I went for breakfast and saw a boiled half‑egg. I asked my mom why it was half when I could clearly see a whole egg in my brother's tiffin. She said she gave my brother and me half each for breakfast and the whole egg goes into the tiffins. I was like okay. Later I asked her to give me the egg she had prepared for my tiffin for lunch, but she said that egg was only for my brother's tiffin. I got really furious and made a scene. It's only recently that I called out my mom for always giving the larger piece of everything to my brother, and now this. She just says things like "yeah I'm crazy", "okay I'm the bad one", but never realises why I'm acting like this and goes back to square one. Sometimes I feel like I'm overreacting.
Ah, boy, moms! I'm sorry, buddy, that you're going through this. I understand, but it's unlikely to change.
You're probably reacting to the overall pattern, not just the egg. When you keep feeling treated unfairly, even tiny things sting more than they should. That doesn't mean you're overreacting; it just shows the frustration has been building up. Your mom brushing it off with comments like "I'm the bad one" shuts down the real issue and leaves you feeling unheard. It's okay to be upset. When things are calm, try telling her that it's not about the egg, it's about feeling that your brother is constantly given priority. If you're confused about your reaction, it usually means there's a deeper issue.
OP, you're not wrong. Your mother does seem to favour your brother, giving him the bigger pieces and more food. You can either talk to her openly about this bias or handle it yourself. The simplest way is to eat what you want instead of leaving your diet in her hands. You're definitely not overreacting; if anything you're under‑reacting because I would have eaten both my egg and my brother's if I were you. Is that crazy? Yes! But favouring sons over daughters is even crazier.
You're not overreacting. However, arguing in the heat of the moment might not help either of you. Once the frustration has settled, bring up all the times you felt it was unfair and try to sort it out together.
This is a classic case of discrimination at home. I've experienced it too – my mother always gave my brother larger portions and smaller ones to me (I have a small appetite, so I didn't mind). I can see why she does it. My father, on the other hand, never treats us like that; he actually makes sure I get the best serving on my plate.
Half an egg isn't much protein for breakfast. I'm sorry your mom thinks you don't need enough, even though as a woman you actually need more protein and are more prone to anaemia. Does she have knee problems or other weaknesses? You could point out that you don't want her to suffer and that you need to eat well. Also, where's your dad in all this? Giving you less food is a terrible thing to do.
Indian moms often have a default love for sons. They may not even realise it. I felt the same – my parents say they love me more, but what I see is the opposite. Maybe just let it go and try to move on.
Start taking his eggs and other things that are meant for him. When her precious son gets 0 instead of 1.5, maybe she'll finally give you 0.5.
Swap your lunchbox with your brother's before you head out to school.